What is the horn studio like?
The horn studio at CSI is a small and close group of players. The studio currently consists of mostly Americans, with one Polish student and an Italian. Horn students often live together as roommates, regularly go to meals together, and share a strong sense of camaraderie.
What classes will I take?
- Each student receives at least 90 minutes of private instruction from Mr. Johnson each week.
- Students play prepared solos and excerpts for critique. Mr. Johnson's primary goal is to help you win a job.
- Twice a week, play solos in front of the horn studio, with professional piano accompaniment.
- Excellent performance experience to help with nerves, and to receive specific advice.
Orchestral Training CLASS
- Twice a week. One of the following options.
- The class is treated similar to a mock audition. Students will be asked to play excerpts at random from an assigned set. Receive commentary from Mr. Johnson.
- The present students play major works for horn as a horn section (recent examples: Mahler 1, Mendelssohn 3, Ein Heldenleben), conducted and instructed by Mr. Johnson.
- Each student receives regular weekly lessons on one of the following instruments: Wagner tuba, natural horn, or descant horn.
- The instrument switches each semester.
- Specialized instruments are provided by the school.
Example Weekly Schedule
- 9:00 - 10:00 : Horn lesson
- 11:00 - 13:00 : Solo class
- 15:00 - 16:30 : Horn choir rehearsal
- 9:00 - 10:00 : Wagner tuba lesson
- 11:00 - 12:30 : Orchestral training class
- 9:30 - 10:00 : Horn lesson
- 10:00 - 11:30 : Orchestral training class
- 11:30 - 13:00 : Solo class